A few days ago, I experimented dyeing an old tee shirt and cotton scarf which had not been mordanted, but had been washed. I used turmeric and paprika powders from my cupboard and eco-printed with Eucalyptus cinerea leaves dipped in iron water.
After boiling for 2 hours the result was bright yellow turmeric areas, with smudgy black leafy areas. I dried them but wasn’t really happy with them. I just don’t like the colours! They’re too garish. I didn’t really think it through but just grabbed what I had in the pantry!
Undeterred, and not liking to waste a good under-painting, I washed them and dipped in milk/water mordant then dried again.
Today after dipping in water/milk again, I laid out a heap of Eucalyptus leaves from my garden and Eucalyptus cinerea that had been soaking in water with a bit of vinegar.
Then they got bundled up and as I write they’re still boiling in a bath of water stocked with more eucalyptus leaves and bark.
There was space in the top of the pot to place an upturned colander, so I bundled up some more paper and leaves (just Eucalyptus leaves this time) and stashed them on there. I covered the pot with al-foil, and secured it with string to keep the steam in.
After a couple of hours or so, I’ll take them all out and leave the cloth as long as I can before opening them. Good luck with that Madame Impatience!
Where did those days go? I’ve a few photos of results from the last couple of eco-dyeing batches, which I’ll list below.
Results of experiments dyeing calico and silk with brown onion skins in various mordants
Onion skin swatches of various mordants/material
Eco-printing alum mordanted calico with rusty nails, paprika, turmuric and fennel seeds
Paprika, turmeric, fennel seeds, rusty iron nails
Paprika, turmuric, fennel seeds in iron bath
Eco-printing calico with fresh eucalyptus leaves
Fresh eucalyptus leaf print, green
Experimenting with capsicum leaf – turned yellow/green and rosemary – turned pink
Capsicum leaf (yellow), rosemary leaves (pink)
Nov ’13 Glasshouse Market stall
Yesterday, along with the Poppy Scarf, I also made a couple more nuno felt scarves using a hand-dyed piece of chiffon that I cut into one thin and one wider strip. I was very industrious as I was working towards today’s Glasshouse Market stall, and the next few markets before Christmas.
Without going into the ins and outs of the whole production, here are some photos of the finished scarves.
Summer scarf in rose, lavender, heliotrope and yellow on hand-dyed tissue silk using lighter dye bath of same colours.
Close up of narrow summer scarf nuno felted onto tissue silk. Colours include lavender, heliotrope and rose.
Close up of summer scarf in rose, lavender, heliotrope and yellow – modelled by a lady wearing a rose top.
Slim summer scarf tied as belt
Summer scarf nuno felted onto tissue silk using merino wool on tissue silk, with silk hankies and silk tops. Hand dyed colours include lavender, heliotrope and rose.
Hemmed soft, drapable nuno felted silk scarf with poppies at either end.