After steaming the bundle of paper with Eucalyptus leaves this afternoon, it was time to unbundle and reveal Nature’s beautiful patterns. I will let the pic speak for itself.
Posts tagged ‘eucalyptus’
A few days ago, I experimented dyeing an old tee shirt and cotton scarf which had not been mordanted, but had been washed. I used turmeric and paprika powders from my cupboard and eco-printed with Eucalyptus cinerea leaves dipped in iron water.
After boiling for 2 hours the result was bright yellow turmeric areas, with smudgy black leafy areas. I dried them but wasn’t really happy with them. I just don’t like the colours! They’re too garish. I didn’t really think it through but just grabbed what I had in the pantry!
Undeterred, and not liking to waste a good under-painting, I washed them and dipped in milk/water mordant then dried again.
Today after dipping in water/milk again, I laid out a heap of Eucalyptus leaves from my garden and Eucalyptus cinerea that had been soaking in water with a bit of vinegar.
There was space in the top of the pot to place an upturned colander, so I bundled up some more paper and leaves (just Eucalyptus leaves this time) and stashed them on there. I covered the pot with al-foil, and secured it with string to keep the steam in.
After a couple of hours or so, I’ll take them all out and leave the cloth as long as I can before opening them. Good luck with that Madame Impatience!
On Monday, I spent the day catching up on unfinished business. The business of eco-dyeing. I’ve had such a sparse time of it over the last few months because of work commitments that I was pretty damn stir crazy by the time I’d gathered my leaves and excitedly brought home my first bunch of Eucalyptus Cinerea from the florists.
The other leaves were collected from my driveway and garden, blown roughly to the ground by cyclone Marcia that made her way through our town a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, Marcia had spent her energy except for gallons of rain that she dumped on us on her way down from Yepoon where she’d crossed from the ocean to the land.
Our normally fairly dry creek burst its banks due to the constant downpour and king tides that had something to do with keeping the river backed up with water for a day or two. Here’s one of the local road on the first morning …
As you can imagine, lots of children were hugely disappointed at not being able to attend school – along with adults who also couldn’t make work because the roads were cut off…
Disappointed. Sure. *Smiles*.
Anyway, while cyclone Marcia brought devastation to homes and crops north of here, along with flooding to the south, she did kindly provide me with windfall leaves that I eagerly collected for my dye pot.
I had two second-hand cotton tee shirts that I’d pre-mordanted a few months ago and kept until I had the time to dye them.
Sunday was that day.
I was so eager to get the bundles into the pot that I forgot to photograph the layout of the leaves. Sorry about that.
Anyhow, here’s the reveal, with a selection of photos. I love the shade of blue imparted by the natural Aquarelle botanic liquid dye.
After they’d dried, I rinsed them in water to wash off remnants of leaves and mordant. Then ironed them. Then hung them out to dry. They have lost some of their depth of colour, but I have to say, I really love them and am pleased at how they’ve turned out.
I also now have two eco-dyed silk scarves using the same eco colour palette. Here they are side by side. What do you think?
My next project was two un-mordanted cotton items that I stuffed with leaves, tied and boiled in turmeric water. That produced an interesting result. But more on that next blog post.
After a fair amount of patience, I unwrapped the two bundles from yesterday’s eco-printing experiment.
Bundle 1 – the silk scarf bundled with eucalyptus leaves produced a nice golden scarf with darker gold leaf prints. And would you believe? I forgot to photograph it! Sorry.
However, as the result was similar to my first scarf, I decided to use it in today’s experiment, which I’ll post next.
Bundle 2 – the previously dyed pink/purple tie-dyed piece of silk which reminded me too much of Barbie – that I immersed in the dye bath, came out with some lovely variations of golden overlaying the pink and purple, muting those colours nicely. I photographed this one and it looks like this:
I love the colours now, and will probably hem this piece and use as a scarf. Of course I could turn it into a simple camisole top but I’m not sure if that will overstretch my sewing gene beyond it’s capacity.
My next post will cover today’s experiment with tea, iron and alum mordants.
Jill has been trying out my eucalyptus dyed silk scarf while I’ve been at work.
She even took some pictures of herself, cleverly working out how to use the timer button on the camera.
Jill may look like a dummy but she’s quite smart lol.
Here are some pics of her wearing the scarf in different ways, showcasing the lovely warm light browns and beiges that the eucalyptus and vinegar produced on the silk.
Not bad for a first attempt at dying. (I need to work on my ironing skills though.)