Today’s experiment took me beyond my comfort zone of familiar eucalyptus.
Using the golden eucalypt-dyed silk scarf from yesterday’s experiment which turned out very similar to my first attempt, I decided to over-print with some leaves I had on hand.
First of all, I dipped the scarf in an alum solution and ironed it dry.
To this I added tea leaves and kale leaf pieces on half of the scarf. I folded it and rolled it tightly on a tea tree twig. I tied it tightly with twine (tighter than yesterday in the hope that if any leaf prints came out, they’d be in better contact with the silk).
For the second silk scarf, I scattered roibus tea leaves and black tea leaves from my cupboard, and some fresh sage leaves from the herb garden. I folded this in half and half again several times until I had a small square that I secured with bull-dog clips.
The dye pot
Using an enamel bowl (kindly donated by my lovely neighbour), I boiled 4 teabags and some rusty iron nails, as I wanted to produce a dark brown/black. For good measure, I added what was left of the alum solution from Scarf 1.
I stood a rusty mozzie (mosquito) coil holder in the pot and put Scarf 1 on top. I immersed Scarf 2 into the dye liquid.
Covering the pot with aluminium foil, I boiled it for a total of 65 minutes.
Then I took them out to cool and at the moment they are hanging up drying.
I’ll post the results tomorrow.