A few days ago, I experimented dyeing an old tee shirt and cotton scarf which had not been mordanted, but had been washed. I used turmeric and paprika powders from my cupboard and eco-printed with Eucalyptus cinerea leaves dipped in iron water.
After boiling for 2 hours the result was bright yellow turmeric areas, with smudgy black leafy areas. I dried them but wasn’t really happy with them. I just don’t like the colours! They’re too garish. I didn’t really think it through but just grabbed what I had in the pantry!
Undeterred, and not liking to waste a good under-painting, I washed them and dipped in milk/water mordant then dried again.
Today after dipping in water/milk again, I laid out a heap of Eucalyptus leaves from my garden and Eucalyptus cinerea that had been soaking in water with a bit of vinegar.
There was space in the top of the pot to place an upturned colander, so I bundled up some more paper and leaves (just Eucalyptus leaves this time) and stashed them on there. I covered the pot with al-foil, and secured it with string to keep the steam in.
After a couple of hours or so, I’ll take them all out and leave the cloth as long as I can before opening them. Good luck with that Madame Impatience!